Wednesday, February 24, 2010

February 25th, 2010. Oslo Norway. Imogen Heap Tour


I awoke today on the bus en-route to Oslo. I have never been to Oslo. I've never been to Europe actually and I feel pretty spiffy about the fact that I just played a pretty rad show to a great crowd in Berlin. Life is so strange. It really reminds me that everything counts in some way. Good or bad. It seems like yesterday I was so nervous to sing into a microphone in front of my close friends. Now I'm touring the world with the magnificent Imogen Heap. I am so grateful to be doing this. If I could go back in time and tell myself as a teenager that all of those rough times would lead to this, I suppose I would have enjoyed the ride a little more. It seemed like such a farfetched dream. Sure, its not all fun and games. We've all been sick, tossing around this virus the whole time. I miss my girlfriend a lot and worry she won't be able to handle me being away so much. It's a strange life out here on the road. Most of the time is spent at the venues, snacking, emailing, setting up, sound-checking, taking grimy showers, eating pre-made sandwiches etc... The normal day consists of waking up in the little bunk (thats just a little bit bigger than a coffin), stumbling down to the first floor of the bus (yes the bus has two stories), having some coffee and fruit, walking into the venue, maybe going for a jog, setting up gear, sound checking, sorting out merch, eating some snacks, warming up, playing, talking to people after the show, tearing down, getting back on the bus, maybe watching a movie, then going back to sleep to wake up and do it all again. Don't get me wrong, I am in no way complaining. Everyone I'm with is really lovely. Playing my music and playing with Imogen are some of the most most fulfilling things I've done so far. No matter how I feel during the day, after a good show I'm higher than a kite. Literally floating on air... and to hear people who were in the audience tell me it affected them makes it all worth while... I just want to inspire people to open up and feel a bit more. I want people to know that what's inside of them is inside of all of us. No matter what, there is a way through the hard times and there is good times ahead. When I was a teenager, music opened me up to my emotions in a way that nothing else has. I felt the entire spectrum of my emotional core expand through sounds and melodies. It was like what was going into my ears some how came from within. It showed me that there was someone somewhere who knew exactly how I felt. At the time, it was all I needed to feel relevant in such a seemingly alienating and cold world. The thought that I may in some way be creating that experience for others may be enough to endure endlessly long roads and cold nights. There has been a few times when someone has looked at me in the eyes and expressed how they have been moved by what i do. That tells me that this is real. It gives me hope that I may be able to do it for others for a long long time. So for now i'll sit in my hotel room thinking of loved ones, being grateful for now, feeling hopeful for what's to come and a little lonely.... Its sooo worth it.
thank you everything for everything.

7 comments:

  1. I'm one of your inspired Ryan!! You Have inspired me to a new level after seeing you perform in Chicago. You definitely have a strong & needed purpose in this world & for that, many souls as well as mine are extremely grateful to have you & your music in our lives!!

    Cheers Bro!!

    Joe Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last year, one of the highlights musically was hearing your music for the first time at the Imogen show in Salt Lake. It had been a long time since I'd heard music for the first time that really moved me and just made me go "wow." As we watched your performance, I think my wife and I were both a bit sad to see your set end. It was really one of those few times I've seen an artist live for the first time, having heard nothing of them before, and wanted more.
    So yeah, your music is great, and quite inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ryan, I'm so happy for you! And the best thing is - as you know - that your dreams coming true make other people (including myself) dream even more and pursue these dreams even harder.

    I'm looking forward to seeing you perform again, can't waith for your own tour in UK after 'The Mirror' is released! :)

    all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ryan - I just wanted to say hi and to add to the comments here.
    I brought 6 friends/family along to see you, Tim and Imogen play in Leeds this month and you absolutely blew us all away. Your live version of Canyons was just epic; my brain couldn't quite comprehend the beauty of what I was hearing.
    Anyway, we are all fully converted Back Ted N-Ted-ites now, and I join the commenter above in hoping you'll come back to the UK again soon and tour your new album.
    I wish you all the best with the rest of the tour, and with 'The Mirror'.

    Keep changing the world...
    R x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ryan!
    You don't know me but I was just at your concert with Imogen in Hamburg. I had to go look you up straight away. I am very excited to see that you'll be releasing an album soon because you know what? Your music really affected me, really gave me something, just like you mentioned here!:
    "...and to hear people who were in the audience tell me it affected them makes it all worth while... I just want to inspire people to open up and feel a bit more. I want people to know that what's inside of them is inside of all of us....I felt the entire spectrum of my emotional core expand through sounds and melodies. It was like what was going into my ears some how came from within....I felt the entire spectrum of my emotional core expand through sounds and melodies. It was like what was going into my ears some how came from within. It showed me that there was someone somewhere who knew exactly how I felt."
    I was originally going to hold back this comment, but, reading this now totally reconfirmed the amazing sincerity and creativity I felt you simply streamed out to everyone, showing me you wouldn't think 'what an overzealous fan'...but yeah...your first song brought tears to my eyes. It was so wonderful to attend an intimate concert with an artist who truly wants to give to his/her audience.
    I really wished I had gotten to talk to you after the show because I felt you were such a kindred spirit. Additionally, I think your honest giving of yourself to us all awakens the fact that we're ALL kindred spirits. Thank you SO much!! I hope you have SO much fun on the rest of your tour with Imogen and hopefully you'll be back along with her later this year, perhaps or on your own tour in 'German land'?! :)
    Again, I can't express with words the depth of connection, awe, and release at the pleasure of receiving such a gift from one's own TRUE kin. INeffable. Beauty.
    Hamburg, Girl with curls, close to stage right

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Ryan, the comments above are just amazing to see. How wonderful. Owen still asks to hear the mirror over and over and over in the car. I am up late. Sort of depressed. Windy outside. Stay well Buddy. Seems like you will be in CA soon?

    Are you coming by?
    M Baker

    ReplyDelete
  7. Check out the new Back Ted N-Ted facebook page!!!

    http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=133263536709689&topic=126#!/pages/Back-Ted-N-Ted/133263536709689

    And the new full length is out on iTunes.

    ReplyDelete