Thursday, November 12, 2009

Show 2, at the Fillmore in San Fran

disclaimer: i am bored of proof reading so please excuse any errors :D

I awoke the next morning in San Fran. I peered out the windows of the bus with a feeling of excitement and rejuvenation. What a strange process to sleep in a moving home and wake up in a new place. It reminds me the movie Alien, where the crew would sleep in suspended animation while traveling long distances in space. It enjoyed some good breakfast at a local spot with fellow tour mates Tim Exile and Chris Vatalaro. The day passed and before i knew it we were setting up onstage at the Fillmore. What a beautiful venue. Wonderful Zoe the Cellist came to accompany us onstage for some of Immi's set. I felt as if tonight would be cake compared to the uphill strides of last nights show. I was perhaps a little over confident. When doors opened fans started pouring in. The vibe was good. Imogen again with such grace and kindness introduced me on stage. I played. The first song felt good. I was more relaxed than the night before. I continued. After 2 songs i figured i would try "dream girl". Its a slow ballad that i do like a lot but i had never played it before live. It started rough. My looper was acting funny and I think i started one of the loops off-beat. I played. I felt the crowd yawn. It was a very strange feeling. Its like the audience was one being and they were getting bored in the conversation. Against all training I abruptly stopped the song before the bore went on. I immediately switched to "The War is Over". Thankfully this gained them back. What a relief. I had some good hi-5's with the kids up front and some dancers in the crowd so this was wonderful. I was done. Immi' immediately introduced Tim Exile who i think is one of the most talented musicians/performers around today. He started the set with looping himself eating chips. It was amazing. He continued with some drippy electro beats and then he gave the audience the microphone so he could sample them. Amazing. One audience member wasn't into this style of performance and spoke into the mic "this isn't music" just in time for him to sample and loop it. Also amazing. He finished to a roaring house. Such a great set. It was time for Imogen. She entered the stage again with such grace and confidence. The first 2 songs sounded great. It was our turn again to join her. It was so strange, it was like i wasn't there.. like i was on auto pilot. It felt like everything was happening around me and i was just the obserer. In between songs my head sent me to a near panic. "how can i be doing this and be so disconnected" i would think..along with other disabling thoughts. Luckily thoughts are just thoughts, they are not me, so I can operate regardless. The show happened like a distant blur. Imogen was amazing as always. Before i knew it , it all came to an end again. Just like the next 12 will. After the show i learned that the Fillmore crew had lost one of there bar-backs the previous night. He died by his own hand, this sent a shock-wave through me putting everything into perspective. I was not unfamiliar with this urge when i was younger. To be so uncomfortable and lost that the option of death seams better that another day of life, and to know that i once felt this way and now i was on the most amazing tour of my life. My heart broke for the poor soul who did not hang on one more day. My thoughts and regards go out to his family friends and co-workers. If nothing else comes of all of this i would at least wish to communicate to those feeling a deep longing for relief from the struggles of life that it is worth hanging on.
thank you everything for everything.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Back Ted N-Ted, love the blogs - don't worry about the proof-reading but the occasional paragraph would render them much easier to read ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had an absolute blast. Got to the show @ 4pm, waited outside anxiously until about 7pm when the doors opened, rocked out in the front row, we were amongst your high 5's, and I really enjoyed your set. We stuck around until 2am when Imogen came outside, and was absolutely amazing. We met Tim after the show but didn't see you. Imogen signed all of our things, and even hung out for a bit and chatted with us. This was an absolutely wonderful evening, something that will stick with me for a long time. All of your guys were fantastic, and treated us all so well, thank you for everything that you do. Music is my favorite escape from the challanging world today. You guys provided me with an entire anxiety free evening, which simply turned into an evening of being transfixed in absolute bliss (had to get my imogen plug somewhere). I know the crowd was a bit dead, that's always a struggle when you go on first. Your equiptment didn't help you out much either, but I think you handled things very graciously and put on an awesome set anyways! So thanks again for a beautiful evening!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved, loved, loved your stuff when you opened for Imogen tonight in Salt Lake. You were so great. Are you on itunes? Come with Imogen again in April, yeah? Yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't get to tell you what an INCREDIBLE job you did tonight, but it seemed like many others did. I only caught you as you were being called away and gave you a drawing for the lovely Imogen... I am SOOOOO loving your CD, and I can already tell it'll inspire my music! Hope to see you out here again!!

    -Sara of QstandsforQ

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey ryan breen! this is a great little essay. i so identify. didn't know you were doing this tour - now i *really* wish i had come to the LA show. keep it up!

    - stephen ridley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow wow wow, this captured the night so perfectly. You were really phenomenal, you won quite a few fans I'm SURE! I was definitely a high-fiver and a dancer up front, I loved your use of audience participation, it really warmed us up. And Dream Girl was it? I really liked it, but technology can be a bitch, eh? I wish you hadn't stopped, but I know that people sometimes have a hard time with ballads when they're so pumped up for something like Imogen. Tim Exile really really really surprised me, I was the second person who sang into the mic, I think I sounded awful, but I really don't know. I didn't know how to follow up Mary Had a Little Lamb, but SOMEONE had to sing! It was such a rush, I wonder how you manage to even stand in front of so many people.
    Anyway, bravo, it was the best show I've ever been to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for putting those thoughts at the end of this post out there. Your compassion and heartfelt sadness over a person losing all hope is expressed with great sincerity. I am glad to see this blog. I think it offers a tiny bit of a connection to you and the rest of your crew and that will make the show in Burlington, VT even better! Can't wait to see you all and experience your music!

    ReplyDelete