Friday, November 20, 2009

Shows 5 and 6 in the Grand State of TEXAS!

We arrived in Dallas a few days ago on a wispy chilled afternoon. It was a beautiful evening that began with some some time in the gym followed by a relaxing dip in the jacuzzi with Cara, Chris, and Tim. Tom joined us a bit later for some pretty awesome tacos, so awesome in fact that i think the place should be named awesome tacos. The next day arrived without fail and it was time for our show-day routine. Get on the bus, drive up to the venue, the boys load in, set up, sound check, bring in merch, run through songs, warm up vocals.. etc etc etc...I like that its beginning to become somewhat of a routine, i feel like it gets into my bones and muscles. It becomes a part of me like walking or running. It requires a high level of presence; a meditation almost. The show went off without much of a hitch, i felt like my set went well, and Imogen sounded amazing as always. Everyone was completely lovely by the merch booth afterwards. Sandy help us with the CD and t-shirt sales. Before I knew it we were off to Austin.


We arrived in the beautiful city in the morning, where Tim and I grabbed some food at Katz's deli. Very delicious corned beef and Hash! Tim and i talked about his plans for artist based software development. I think his ideas are going to shape the future of music technology and music distribution. Again it was time to load in and set up. We had a very fun sound check, we finished in time to walk over to the bridge at Congress street to see some bats. We waited for a bit before the bats started stirring. They were a bit dark and hard to make out but with the illumination of a flash light you could see thousands of little furry buddies flying in circles just underneath the bridge. They generated small clicking noises that when multiplied, they sounded like a sea of glitchy insects sputtering about. Very cool. Cara got word that the cellist arrived at the venue so we rushed back to do the final sound check. He was very talented. 

Show-time sprung up like a bouncy ball once again. My set went pretty good except for "hookie".. I felt like it was playing an out of tune warped record for everyone. The timing was off, the mix was weird. It was flat out wonky.  Luckily we got through it without killing anyone. Afterwards I was a little in my head, i was struggling to stay present for Imogen's set. She went on to another wonderful warm crowd. When it was time for us to re-enter the stage I was a little off for some reason. I had a hard time staying in it. I continued to breath into it. There it was, the stillness i needed to play. Before I knew it we were playing the last song once again. We bowed, left the stage, then Imogen returned for another beautiful encore of "Hide and Seek"..  Afterwards I went out to the merch table to meet some fans. Once again, they were lovely. The guys from a great band called "Speak" were out there, I love their music. Our great friend Ryan Obermeyer was in the house as well. He has a way of bringing up the party standards. We retired to the bus and there was something in the air whispering "fun fun fun!!!" in a little elf voice. We started a party. A moving bus crazy funk dance party. Everyone was in rare form. I don't know how the right combination of things come together from time to time to create magical party moments but it was all there that night. I think i might have to write a song about how much fun i had. Everyone was so lovely. I had a grin on my face the entire next day (even though i was slightly hung over).. Thats one for the history books. Thank you everything for everything!!! 




oh and "Hookie" is now available on Itunes. See you in Nashville!

2 comments:

  1. It was nice meeting you at the Granada and your set was fun to watch. Hope to see you come back around to Dallas sometime soon.
    http://www.lawnwithgnomes.com/
    Got80s on twitter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog, Ryan! It's a very unique way for us to follow along, so to speak. I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time out of your schedule to let us share in on the excitement! :)

    ReplyDelete